is the fuel injection system sequential multiport (one injector sprays at a time) or is it simultaneous (all injectors at a time)

Asked by Jan 08, 2007 at 11:48 AM about the 1987 Ford Ranger

I have a 2.9 L fuel injected engine and I need to know if all the fuel injectors should spray simultanous or one at a time.  Also am getting gas in my oil.....what could be the problem?

21,850

Hi tired! I couldn't find and answer to your injector question here on the web. Take a trip to your local library and have a sit down with your Ranger's Chilton's manual. That will answer your injector question and it may speak to your fuel problem as well. I have to think they may be related. One great way to get your fuel in your oil is to leave unburned fuel in your cylinders. But another source could be an engine-mounted fuel pump (not sure about where the FP is mounted on that vintage Ranger). This is a life-threatening problem however (for the car) and you need to pin the source down quickly. Good luck

ford ranger fuel injector diagram

1,225

A good way to tell if you have port or multi point fuel injection is to see if you have a mass airflow sensor ( 4 wire sensor just after the air filter box ) or a MAP sensor ( manifold absolute pressure, a small black sensor with 3 wires , with a vacume line attached to it from the intake manifold . MAP sensor is port fuel injection , and MAF sensor ( mass airflow sensor) is normally multi point fuel injection. If you are getting gas in the oil , you might have a leaky injector , a bad airflow sensor , bad fuel pressure regulator , or a number of other things . You need to get the vehicle checked over for any trouble codes , tune-up may be required , and /or fuel pressure check . even something like a timing chain "jumping" a cog will throw out the computer and trick it into dumping fuel . You will need to do a complete checkover and make a list of whatever is required before doing any repairs.