Fuel pressure problem after running a while

10

Asked by Apr 21, 2007 at 10:46 PM about the 1987 Ford Ranger

With a gauge on the fuel rail the pressure checks OK.40# with just key on and 35# running sitting in the driveway.  It goes up when you take the vacuum line off and it also hold pressure well when turned off. The truck after a few miles, sometimes less, will lose power and hardly run. If you push the gas down it quits. I taped the gauge to the windshield and it goes to 0 when you push the gas down when it's acting like that.   You can hear the pump running. I changed the fuel filter the old one seamed like it was some plugged blowing through it but didn't help. I'm not sure what to do next.

21,640

Hi Grover! You took all the same steps that that I would have ... well I might not have taped the gauge to the windshield ... but generally speaking ... Anyway ... You probably need a professional at this point. But here's a troubleshooting guide for fuel chain issues in case it helps you narrow down the problem. Hope it helps, good luck ... http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us60324.htm

Best Answer
25

I had the same problem on a Dodge Dynasty a few years ago. It was because of the screen sock on the fuel pick up in the tank. The little knobs on the pick up had wore thru the screen and it was sucking up against the inlet and cutting fuel flow. Replaced it and it ran like a striped a$$ ape!! Tee into the feed line coming from the tank and see if your losing pressure there. Also check whole line system for leaks, both liquid and possibility of sucking air.

10

I already got the truck fixed but thanks anyhow. It has two fuel pumps and the one in the tank wasn't working and full of rust. I think it's for volume and the other one high pressure.

1,195

The pump in the tank is a supply pump and the 2nd pump ( usually along the frame rail ) boosts the pressure in the supply line to the fuel rail , the regulator brings the pressure to the proper operating level ( around 40 psi) . Sounds like your fuel tank may have had some bad gas in it ( water contaminated ) this would have made the gas "rusty" and killed the supply pump . If it wasn't done , you should have the fuel tank flushed out , to make sure all the rust and crap was removed , otherwise you might get into the same problem soon.

40

does a 1993 ford ranger have two fuel pumps

50

I have 2006 ford ranger having trouble holding fuel pressure wen off mechanic said it was fuel pump I changed it still having same problem I didn't change the fuel pump assembly wood that affect it I have to turn key three time to crank over need help asap

10

Well mine runs great then loses fuel pressure and will not crank till the next day and runs fine can anyone help

change the fuel pump, check ball bleeding the residual pressure. off. had the same problem with 95 mustang gt. You can also turn the key on -not to start and run the fuel pumps then crank