no strarting

155

Asked by Jul 21, 2008 at 08:57 PM about the 1986 Ford Ranger

Any one have any ideas on how to get an 86 ford ranger with a 2.9 litre started it only rotates

7,555

it turns over but doesn't start... Check spark... Check fuel delivery... Check compression... write back and tell us the results...

if it just quit running,more tha likely your fuel pump has went out,get a friend to do this with you,remove gas cap listen inside opening have friend turn on keyswitch and listen for a hum sound,if you here nothing .is pump.if you here the pump come on the crank scenser is probley bad,also check the ECM fuse,sometime they blow,kills the cranking system.

255

just an addition to the list, the module that bolts to the side of the distributor.

115

I second that. Likely it is the ignition moduale. Pain in the butt to change, you need an odd-ball 4.5 mm torx bit and it is tough to get to it as it is very close to the firewall.

85

well if it only rotates check iginition coil, ignition fuse and relay.... check the fuel pump and relay and fuel filter.... also check the starter and the starter relay. make sure fuses arent blown etc. if that doesnt help then might wanna put a fuel pressure gauge on it, good luck!