Would this be good for off roading?

55

Asked by Dec 03, 2010 at 02:43 PM about the 1985 Ford Ranger

It has a carburated 5.0 (302) in it with 4x4. # inch lift and 31 inch tires. nd would it beat a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 H.O in muddin or in a race? I have not purchased it yet, but am very interested in it.

11,845

These have serious rust problems - Hit it all over with a hammer Especially the front control arms and the rear shackles for the rear springs.

yes it would be a good off road truck,as for beateing a jeep who knowes,this truck would have the advantange being lighter in weight,a lot of it also has to do with the driver.

55

Well, i'm looking for a 4x4 and I think I have my mind set on a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport. I have watched videos on youtube and it looks like it juust walks through mud likes it's nothing. I know it's not a Jeep but it looked like it can handle it pretty well. Do any of you have expierence with these and if you do could you give me some tips.

just be careful on buying it,the explorer,they have always had one problem after another,they good vehicles until that first prob,then more are on the way.

55

I mean I have read up and have done some reasearch on them and most of the reviews said that the earliy years from 94 and down had there share of problems but for the most part that they are good reliable car. and I did plan on re-building the trans so it could handle the stress of trailing and muddin. But if i put a shift-kit in it for my off roading purposes on the weekends, would that be any less stress on it?

No,not really,all you would get when not off roading is a quicker shift on the highway.use high qulaity parts on the rebuild and drop the shift kit idea,it will last longer.

65

yes defintly go with ranger

1,255

The ranger would beat the jeep no problem. The carbed 5.0l is the samething that cops use in the Crown Victoria, they have 250 hp stock while the jeep has 220 something. You should smoke the jeep. Keep it from slipping from the start and then get on it. I have a 88 F150 with the fuel injected 5.0l And 31's on the back. It smoked a 2001 Lancer Evolution. He couldn't keep up. Closest he got was to the tailgate. Smoke 'em!!!