im getting a ranger soon. is there any way I can get more power out of the 2.8 liter v 6 in there i need to pull and haul very heavy loads.

Asked by Oct 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM about the 1984 Ford Ranger

Start with your typical modifications: Air Intake System, Cat-Back Exhaust, Underdrive Pulleys, 8mm Ignition Wires. If you still need more, try: Supercharger/Turbo, Reprogramming the Computer, Fuel Injectors, Intercooler. Good luck!

dont bother doing anything other than porting and polishing your truck, if you want more power get a 4.0L it will bolt up to your tranny and put out alot more torque and hp, the swap is fairly straight forward

if you're going to regularly be hauling heavy loads? why even start with a ranger? they're small compact trucks for a reason...the payload isn't that much. you can do little things, like the guy listed before me...but dont expect it to be night and day of diff

You could always use NITRO for those heavy loads.

you got the worst 6 cylinder that ford put out and blow off any responce from a guy that tells you to change injectors because yur truck no matter what it is caburated my advice get a 4.0 I'm putting one in my '86 as soon as I find the truck cheap enough but If you want to keep the 2.8 change the carb and get a K&n air cleaner assembly change the exhaust manifolds and get a cat back system or just put on a larger exhaust

Don't bother with an underdrive pulley, and a K&N does not do much for power. Everyone that says say is full of shit. 2-3 hp, if that with our rangers (granted, I DO have one on mine LOL). As someone once explained to me, "trying to build a 3.0 is like polishing a turd." The 3.0 are durable engines, but not built for much power. The 4.0L is the easiest option for cheap @ about 225 tq @ 2400 rpm. The other option you could do is change your rear gear ratio to a 4.10 from your 3.55 or 3.73. Make a big difference, and will ease the load and stress of your parts. You'll lose top end speed, but do you really need to go 90-100 mph? It's easy, and you change get a mechanic to do the whole change for under $200 w/ parts.

get a full sized truck...your springs aren't set up to haul much...if you're heart is set on a ranger get add-a-leaf's equalizing nitro shocks...and maybe even a 2-4 inch suspension lift...oh yeah...get the 4.0 too...that 2.8 won't even spin the wheels on dry pavement...