my 84 ford ranger pickup jumped time, i had timing belt replaced and it still wont start, is there a reset or something?

Asked by Jul 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM about the 1984 Ford Ranger

675

The basics first, of course. There's more than one mark on the timing gears on those. I am assuming it is a 2.5 liter. The diamond must line up with the diamond and the triangle with the triangle. Since the cam gear and counterbalance gear are the same, they have BOTH marks on them and you must line them up properly as well as the crankshaft. If that is good and fuel and spark are there, it should start. If it sounds funny when you crank it over, and the marks are all aligned, it may have a compression issue. This is generally a non-interference motor, so there shouldn't be any valve damage. However, I have repaired broken timing belts on these trucks that required head work to to piston-to-valve contact.

be sure the dots line up first,if you have the tentioner to tight or to loose it wont start,also check ecm fuse to see if blown,check your fuel pump.