New radiator, but runs hot after about 3 miles, stop & it looses water & antifreeze out on pavement

Asked by Nov 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM about the 1989 Ford Festiva

I have a 1989 Ford Festiva automatic.  Confession:  I had a water leak & transmission leak. Got new radiator and man fixed trans. leak saying it was something simple. All was fine. Then I exited the interstate where I should not have and the bottom hit as I went over the curb. Ever since, water & trans. leaking. After I drive about 3 or 4 miles the engine light comes on. I immediately stop & turn off & see some water & antifreeze on the pavement. I check the water level, & the cap is hot but can still at that point be took off without spewing. I look in a see top of water level is low, so I start it back up & add some water. The engine light goes off. But 3 or 4 miles later....the same thing happens. During all of this time the cold/hot gauge is normal. If I don't stop right away when the light comes on, then it will start smoking from under the hood within 4 or 5 minutes.  I just had a new radiator put in.  One man said the water resevoir having murky clear syrup like thick water in the resevoir might be the only cause.  Is that true, and how do I clean the resevoir out? I also have to put transmission fluid in it about once every week. The heater only gets warm on defrost setting. Do any of these things relate to same problem, or all different problems?

8,315

Come over to www.fordfestiva.com and ask. Maybe somebody can help you out.