charg light not working

Asked by Sep 05, 2011 at 12:53 AM about the 1989 Ford Festiva

The 'charge' warning light has stopped working (as I recently discovered some miles from home when the alternator quit!)
How do I get in to replace the bulb? All the other warning lights work OK.
Geoff

to replace a blub the cluster has to be removed.

195

To remove the cluster, you should remove all obvious screws, jack the car onto obvious stands, take the speedo cable loose so the panel can slide forward. Once it's out far enough, you can remove it from the back of the cluster and unplug the rest of the connectors, then dis-assemble down to the needed bulb. Next just reverse the process to return everything. You can get books for your car on e-bay that break it down very well, and are specific for your car.

205

remove the cluster again by taking out obvious screws. I would have thought there would be enough slack to unscrew speedo from behind cluster. Depends on car and wether the speedo is a cable or electronic that you unplug. Once out replace burned out lamp on back of cluster.

195

Only reason I know is I have one sitting in my carport. Had to replace the cable once, no way to get even a normal hand in there! And the engine end of the cable??? It's also the Dip-Stick/Filler-Port for the tranny!

195

It's the car in my picture.