swappable trans?

Asked by Oct 28, 2011 at 07:53 PM about the 1988 Ford Festiva

i have a mint  88 festiva L with only 62000 miles. love the car but it only has a 4 spd need a 5 or even better 6 what will work?

The Festivia was not mint from the factory,it came with a 4 speed,that is what will have to go back in.

25

A later model Festiva 5 sp will fit right in. I've done it a number of times. We have 2 red Festivas [1991's]I currently have a 4 sp in my wifes car- she just drives it around Boston . The other option is to get a 5 sp out of a Ford Aspire, I recently bought a Aspire parts car so we now have a spare transaxle. I don't know of any 6 sp that will bolt up to the 1300 motor.

6,675

this is pretty old. hope you had good luck with the trans stuff. The aspire requires the cross member, I believe, and at least the mounts and different gear linkage. There is a 6 speed out of a newer car, check fordfestiva.com, there's a guy in Arizona that did it.