need help with the 145r12 tire size.... conversion?

10

Asked by Nov 17, 2010 at 06:17 PM about the 1988 Ford Festiva

I have an 88 festiva... had 145/80r12 's on the front...... I switched them out with 145r12 I
think this is a metric tire?  I can't figure out what the original tires were and whether or
not I h
been to adjust for the speedometer being"off"...... normally I use the calculator at
tirerack.com.... but it wont accept any variation of the 145-12/145r12 tire???? Any
information appreciated! Thanks! G3ride69@msn.com

look on driver door or in glove box,will give the factory tire size.

45

you can change to 13 inch wheels,they are easier to get tires for145 and 145/80 is the same size of tire,80 profile is as big as u usually get.it wont be a fast car so speedo readings dont matter so much lol!

10

really i am just worried about speeding by a couple mph cause the cops suck around here..... this is actually the second set of 12's ive put on the car and know the 12 vs 13 rim and tire hassle..... my real question is really does anyone know of a tire calculator that will accept the 145r12 input. im sure the differance is small... but if they are the same why call them 145r12 and not put the /80 in the tire size? (145/80r12)

185

Friend, im running 15X7 wheel's on mine but reccomend a 15x6 as min tend to scrubb with cornering or heavy bumps. Tire size is... 195/45/ZR15. The outside diameter of your tire (distance from point A, back around to point A) is approx 21 inches. this is almost identical. The speedo on mine is spot-on! But know, the larger wheel and wider ruber do corner better, but breaks slower due to inertia. Look up WWW.ROTAWHEELS.COM .

175

check inside the door sill of your car. all the info should be right there including tire size and air pressure. Or read the owners manual, lol.

10

The 80 r in your first tire is the aspect ratio- the relationship between a tires width and it's height or profile- it affects the wheels total diameter- if the speedos changed and the tires look a different height- you probably got a tire with a different aspect raio- just about all 12 inch tires should fit- but they should also match at least on each axle I've had both 145 and 155 widths on an 88 and 91 Festy- 80 R is a good aspect ratio for a narrow width- it means the height is 80 percent of the width- not sure you'd find any under 70 r anyway I got two new 155 r80 12 tires last year- 2014- on ebay delivered for about $90 I think it was. Back at the turn of the century- I bought 145 width 12 inch tires for $15 apiece before mounting- 145 weigh less and roll better than 155, but wear faster and not as much surface grip either. It's possible to go with larger wheels but the lug spacing is rare and the larger rims will rub the inside quickly without spacers- I came here looking for the axle diameter myself- info is sketchy- 155 R80 12 is a great choice for a larger 12" tire that will clear with 4 1/2 wide stock Festiva rims.s a goo