How can I clean the carburetor for my ford festiva 1988 1.3L need a procedure

Asked by Dec 27, 2006 at 10:29 PM about the 1988 Ford Festiva

the motor run and stop immediately as if carburetor is dirty, stay runing only with accelerator in.

16,645

Hello Before you start fixing the carburetor, you should make sure this is absolutely what it is. On older cars, any number of wires or connectors may be lose, causing stalling. If you determine it is in fact the carburetor, here is a good guide for how to clean it: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Clean-a-Carburetor&id=302168 Best of luck! CarGrrl

75

I just did this tonight on my Festiva. All I did was take the big round air filter/cleaner thingy off, make sure I noted where all the hoses went. Then under the vacuum hoses are 5 phillips screws, push hoses out of the way to take those screws out, remove the fuel line and pull it out of the way, and then take a hammer and a flathead screw driver and gently tap the top of the carb to break the gasket seal. Then you can lift the top of the carb about an inch or two, which is enough to spray a crap load of carb cleaner into it. Then on the right side of the carb you'll find a 14mm bolt. If you take that out the bowl of the carb should drain. I just sprayed carb cleaner into the fuel intake tube and into the carb and what not and let is sit, drained it then repeated a few times. Not this isn't the PROPER way of doing it... but it cleaned my carb up enough and drained the old gas and crud enough to let the engine start and idle on its own again.