Why does my diesel truck die when I'm driving?

10

Asked by Sep 15, 2014 at 01:03 AM about the 1984 Ford F-350

I have a 1984 Ford F350 Diesel truck. Has 6.9 motor. Truck starts okay and will idle all
day long. But as soon as I start to drive anywhere it acts like it's running out of fuel and
dies. I made sure there was fuel in tank.  I have changed filters and fuel lines, replaced
fuel pump. I have tried everything I can think of, to no avail. Help please???

35,045

Dam! Those are simply diesel engines. I've had that engine and it was a bit under powered but reliable and easy to work on. When my fuel pump went, I replaced it with a generic electric pump from Auto Palace. ( I'm dating myself lol) As for your problem, I'm still learning towards the fuel system. But what and where....... Is it possible that there's a pin hole leak? Mine was in a 1981 I think. What are your thoughts on that? I am going to think about this one.

35,045

Something just came to my beedie little brain. Gas ( fuel ) Cap. Have you changed it lately? Just for grins and giggles take it off and see if that helps.

35,045

Air Filter? Fuel shut off switch? Water separator? Humm?!?! It's something goofy like that. Hummmmmmm!

10

Already tried the gas (fuel) cap, air filter, fuel shut off switch. So now I'm trying other fuel tank. I agree it has to be something goofy. Never had a problem before. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

35,045

Was the fuel pump put in by someone who knows what they are doing? Like I said before, my pump was mechanical and I replaced it with a electric Auto Palace off the shelf one.

10

Putting in an electric fuel pump now. Wish me luck.

35,045

I'll do the fuel pump dance to the diesel gods. Let me know.

10

LOL.

35,045

Did the fuel pump do the trick?

10

Haven't been able to work on it yet. Sure hoping that fixes it.

35,045

Me to! I did the "Fuel Pump Dance" but there's a typhoon just north of me and I'm not sure if it worked. ( I live in the Philippines)

10

Did you figure it out? My 94 7.3 IDI is doing the exsct SAME thing... ?????

20

What did you figure out?

55

Hey Laurie, I have a 1988 f350 and I have the same trouble. I fix it and I will promise myself if someone have the same trouble I will tell :D. If all your trouble did'nt fix answer me. Ivs been working very hard for month and half to find the answer by myself

10

I am having the same exact problem 1989 Ford F-250 with a 7.3l Idi auto with run for hours in park but if I put in reverse or drive acts like its out of gas an starts to act out of gas and dies

Same issue 1989 F350 7.3 - love to hear the solution to this.

I've not had that problem in a truck yet. But I have had it a couple times in boats that I was delivering up the coast from LA or San Diego or San Francisco to San Francisco or Seattle, and even in Gasoline engines. Going slow the engine ran fine, but when speeding up the engine died. In most cases the vent line to the fuel tank(s) was/were partially clogged. In each case where there was main tanks and auxiliary tanks I found that running on an auxiliary tank instead of the faulty main temporarily solved the problem until I could get the boat to a mechanic with a compresser so that all the fuel lines could be blown out.

55

It could be your fuel pump or the mecanic fuel pump. Maybe you're pump vaccum who's blowing to much air and if you have to many miss fire or trouble shooting it might cause that. but for the fuel tank is dosent madder if it clogged, its only when you're about to fuel the tank it will be over flow even if you put 1/4 litter in it. Check you're fuel line from the valve selector whos distribute the fuel, taht could be clogged. Sorry its hard to find the trouble if im not see or hear the engine