I need a flywheel for a 1979 Ford f350, 400 cubic inch with a manual tranny.

Asked by Jun 23, 2015 at 03:22 PM about the 1979 Ford F-350

I am doing a favor and trying to fix what is wrong with the above truck. They have gone through 3 starters in a month. They pulled the flywheel to get it resurfaced and I got into it when the flywheel was installed along with the clutch. The new starter gear was gone in a week. The engine seems to vibrate when idling and throughout the rev range. I can't find out if this is an internally balanced engine ore not. I think the wrong flywheel may have been installed because more than one person has worked on it. The current flywheel has 180 teeth and is and externally balanced flywheel. None of the parts stores carry a flywheel. I cannot find one on ebay. I am lost and need to talk to someone to point me in the right direction. According to the vin, it has the correct engine in it and the correct transmission but sometime in the recent future something has been changed and I can't find out just what it is. I can't find out from any source so far, the correct flywheel and internal or external balancing. Please help or point me in the right direction.

150,705

I have been looking everywhere and all I could find is if it has engine VIN S it should have 180 teeth The have them at the link I will put is seperate window

150,705

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?make=FORD&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=kdl6qonpgatohv67sc0uknm1n3

I have to admit that this is a real poser. I still can't find any answers as to whether this is an internally or externally balanced engine. As for finding a flywheel for this 1979 400 engine, I might find a Unicorn before I find a flywheel. Sigh

The 400 is externally balanced. The 351M and 400 flywheels are interchangeable, but not the same. The 351M flywheel takes an 11" clutch, while the 400 takes a 12" clutch.