wont start, replaced filters, turns over

Asked by Sep 09, 2012 at 05:26 PM about the 1986 Ford F-250

1,195

Wow. Must be magic filters. What kind are they?

I think I may know what Rubie means...that replacing the filters got it to turn over but I interpreted your question differently, that it turns over before and after you replaced filters, I assume you mean fuel filters. This one goes back to the basics, does it have spark? Gas in tank? Gauges sometimes fail, you may show fuel but have none. What year? Start with the old trick by sticking a phillips screwdriver in the end of any plug wire, ground screwdriver anywhere, does not have to be on plug, have someone crank it, hold the tool very close to ground but not touching and see if you have a BLUE spark. Yellow or weak or no spark means ignition problems

PS the reason I ask what year is that if it has a carburetor put a little gas right down the mouth of carb, REPLACE AIR FILTER AND CANISTER THEN try to start, use extreme caution please, it could backfire and spit gas back out and cause a fire, and not at the same time as what I was describing above. An open spark while "priming" will cause fire. Again, please use extreme caution, do not be alone, have fire extinguisher at the ready. and do not use ether.

my boyfriend is working on the ford now, taking in all advice. Sorry i was so vague in the question, but I do not really drive it, and as you can see, I don't really know how to ask the questions. but the vehicle is a 1986 Ford f 250 utility truck. it has an electronic fuel injected carb. What was so weird, is that it started right up as usual, but only went about 10 feet and died. We then replaced the fuel and air filter. I could smell gas from the hood being open, and he has a full tank of gas. He said he overfilled it, I dont know if that would have anything to do with it.

OK Teri, overfilling the fuel tank maybe, just maybe, has something to do with what is going on. One thing that can happen is if the tank is topped off, more than should be put in, the fuel will run down in to the vapor recovery system Once the gas station pump nozzle clicks off, do not try to put more gas in. It will accept the "extra" gas first, but then liquid fuel will run down in to the vapor recovery system. Not good. One thing that can happen with an overfilled tank is the gas comes from underground storage tanks at temperature X, then if the truck sits in the sun the gas can expand as much as 10% as it warms up. That does not mean you really have any more fuel, the energy contained in a gallon of gas at temp X is the same amount of energy as 1.1 gallons at temp X +20degrees. You should not smell gas when you open the hood. If you do, DO NOT check the spark with the screwdriver. I am on a bit of a tangent, so bottom line: overfilling may have saturated the charcoal in the vapor recovery, but that should purge after running a while, but if it is so super-saturated to contain liquid gas it may behave like you describe.