Clutch line replacement

30

Asked by Jun 22, 2011 at 01:51 PM about the 1986 Ford F-250

How do I?

remove line from clutch master,then remove from slave cylender remove.

30

Then how do I bleed the system?

open bleader valve on slave cylender let it gravity feed,or have a friend pump clutch several times hold it on floor you crack open bleader valve let air out close keep repeting this until just fluid comes out,make sure you keep clutch master full of dot 3 break fluid.if no clutch peddle whwn air is out and you get fluid comeing out,keep bleader valve closed just keep pumping clutch peddle,sooner or later the clutch peddlewill start getting pressure on it,once you have a full peddle blead 1 more time.make sure the friend keeps peddle on floor while bleading and bleader valve is closed.

30

Got it... Was really pretty easy once I figured out how to get the hose off the master and slave cylinders. I just unbolted the master, unclipped it from pedal and removed the assembly. Then I pulled the friction bracket off of the slave and it fell out of the bell housing mount. Dumped out the old fluid, then drove out the roll pins at the hydraulic line inlet at both the master and slave, pulled out the old o rings, installed the new ones, insert the line and then lock it in place with the new roll pins. Remounted the assembly and then bled the system after filling. I also wrapped the nylon hydraulic line with heat protective material to protect it from chafing and/or the heat from the exhaust manifold, which it runs quite close to. I also zip tied it to keep it from moving around too much. I must have had my helper pump the pedal well over 1000 times as it seemed to take forever to get any pedal resistance...but now it is fine. Also I kept looking for a standard Zerk style fitting to effect the bleeding but there isn't one. You bleed it by opening the Allen screw just above the hydraulic line inlet, it is accessed from the top I used an Allen bit and one of those finger ratchets to open and close the bleeder screw. Thanks papa for the help......MJ

no problem,glad you got it going,it takes a lot of pumping to get a clutch peddle.