why wont this 1979 ford 460 stay in time. its all brand new.

40

Asked by Feb 07, 2016 at 02:59 PM about the 1979 Ford F-250

i set th dist propper deadset #1 cyl. fire all good slowly gets bad running then
shut off no restart until i grab dist n give it a crank to th clokwise direction...
now im pulling dist again to set back to #1 cylinder.yes after bring back to
T.D.C...HELP

70,135

If you have points in the distributor then they wear out and the timing gets off. I think you have electronic ignition but if the bolt that hold the distributor in place is loose then the timing can get off. The timing should be set around 10 degrees before TDC. If you are setting it by ear then that is probably your problem.

40

the rotor in the dist is off not the case...out side hold down bolt snug and is set @ 10* why does the rotor get out of cycle?

70,135

Check the mounting of the rotor. If it is damaged then it can slip. Try turning the rotor by hand and see what happens.

72,355

Take and grab the rotor and try to see if it will turn the shaft. A common problem is that the roll pin that holds the distributor shaft gear on shears. All you have to do is pull the distributor and replace the pin.