No electrical power....Nothing

Asked by Sep 25, 2014 at 09:22 PM about the 1979 Ford F-250

Its a 1979 Ford F250 460. Heres the
scenario 2 days ago i parked it
running great, now today I go to turn it
over and nothing no headlights,
hazards horn radio nothing. I cleaned
the terminal just in case and a
jumpstart from my brother but theres
still no power, I've already changed
the solenoid a week ago. Could an
ignition switch just go out like that. I
dont know do you have any
ideas.......keep in mined its a 79 not a
2014.

105,355

That still sounds like a corrosion problem, it could be inside your battery cables, as it is a 79 that is a possibility, drag out your volt meter and start checking for voltage drops on your main circuits first, don't forget the little fuselinks that are connected on the starter solenoid along with the positive cable.

72,405

Absolutely, a catastrophic failure such as this is going to be where battery power comes in. Battery, battery cables, starter, starter solenoid, or the wiring down by the starter. Remember, accessories such as the headlights and horn are hot all the time on your '79 model. The ignition switch is not involved in those circuits. HTH. -Jim

45

on my 79 i just had the same problem. i had a mixture of problems. the first problem was i had grounding wires. i would check your wire going from your solenoid to your starter. i know that wouldnt fix the headlights but it may be part of the problem. the second thing i did was the battery wires. i took the red one that looked brand new and sliced it open only to find massive corrosion. it was eaten through even though it looked close to new. definitely check those if i were you

I have a 85 F 250 put on new alternator ran and charged great for half hour then music got really loud lights got really bright and lost everything finally got power replaced everything electrical including wire s fuseable links and a bunch is fuses but turns over power to coil nothing from coil to distributor checks the trigger wire it's good got no indicator lights when Key switched to on