I have a 78 ford, 351ci, 4 x 4 with a 4 speed manual. I want to convert to an automatic, what are my options/

Asked by Feb 06, 2014 at 09:58 PM about the 1978 Ford F-250

Question type: Car Customization

5 Answers


351 windsor, clevland (rare) or the big block 351 modified



Are you sure. Was it swapped in (they stopped production '74). The Windsor and Cleveland use the common ford small block bellhousing pattern. But the modified uses the common big block pattern. Both the Windsor and Modified were around in '78.


I'm not a ford guy but the c-6 would be my choice. Nice and strong but only a 3 speed, found from '66 to '96 with 5 bellhousings. The AOD is a four speed but not as strong (? if it came with the big block bellhousing), the c4 and FMX are lower strenghted 3 speeds that would work but limites numbers built with the big block pattern. Need to confirm your motor type.


Is your t-case mounted to the back of your manual tranny or is it a divorced unit?

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

  • Are there options for a 4,5, or 6 speed automatic transmissions for a 1977 F-250? 1 answer

    1977 Ford F-250


    Car Customization

  • lowering my f 250 7 answers

    what is the easiest way im addicting to going fast and i know that i need to be lower on the ground to get well needed handling i was wondering the cheapest safest way to lower my truck

    Ford F-250


    Car Customization

  • What would be a good choice of fuel injected motor to replace my 360? 3 answers

    I have a 1972 Ford F250 with the original 360 engine. The motor sounds like it has thrown a rod, and in the event that it cannot be rebuilt I am trying to figure out my options. If I have to change th...

    1972 Ford F-250


    Car Customization

  • 1973 F250 2wd suspension- 1 answer

    if i replace the front coil springs will it clear 235/85R16 and if i replace the rear leafspring, will it clear 305/70R16? any help is appreciated

    1973 Ford F-250


    Car Customization

  • what motor do they have 2 answers

    i need to set up my burnted ftruck motor the old way to get it running untill i fit a new cab and need to know what type of motor to get the old dissy and valley and carb to just run it . Thanks L...

    1990 Ford F-250




Looking for a Used F-250 in your area?

CarGurus has 487 nationwide F-250 listings starting at $3,975.


Search Ford F-250 Questions

Ford F-250 Experts

#1 tennisshoes
Reputation 590
#2 FordNut
Reputation 510
#3 dandyoun
Reputation 340
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Ford F-150
2,410 Great Deals out of 209,424 listings starting at $895
Used Ford F-350
293 listings starting at $7,500
Used Ford Mustang
320 Great Deals out of 45,523 listings starting at $2,000

Used Cars For Sale

1999 Ford F-250 For Sale
25 listings starting at $6,800
1998 Ford F-250 For Sale
16 listings starting at $3,975
1997 Ford F-250 For Sale
127 listings starting at $4,990
1996 Ford F-250 For Sale
82 listings starting at $3,981