Truck Won't Stay Running

Asked by Jan 30, 2014 at 07:39 PM about the 1977 Ford F-250

My friend has a '77 Ford F-250 that has stopped working...
The first problem was that it would start, drive for 15-20 minutes and then die, and not restart... He replaced the ignition module and that solved it for a couple of days, but now it just won't start at all. It has fuel pressure, the carburetor is ok, the coil is getting power.. he says now it doesn't seem like it's trying to fire at all...
Any idea on what it could be or what steps we could try next to figure out what it is and fix it?

100,585

Could be a bad ignition module, just because something is new doesn't mean it is good, might replace the pickup inside the distributor, fairly easy to do on that rig.

25

Mine quite literally did the same thing 3 days ago. It drove for 15-20 minutes, then died while it was driving. I was dead in the intersection. I replaced the spark plugs (they were fouled), the ignition wire, and the distributor cap and rotor. So far, so good. It does sound as if it's running a little different, like it wants to stall (low rpms), so I adjusted the idle and tweaked the carb. It's running a little richer now, in a vehicle already fuel inefficient, but it's running. Hope this helps.

10

I had a 72 that did exactly that. It left me stranded many times. Looked for a year for the problem until I accidentally discovered that the power wire (push on type plug) to the coil was a bit tarnished and not making connection all the time. Cleaned it up, and no more problem.