why truck wont charge

10

Asked by Aug 04, 2015 at 04:49 PM about the 1973 Ford F-250

73 390 in a 75 body  just recently stop charging batterys fine alt is fine wont charge but i
can go down the road any answers?

101,935

It will run until the battery goes below minimum required voltage to keep the engine running, if the battery checks good and the alternator also does then it is either a bad voltage regulator or a wiring problem.

10

how do i find the wiring problem is there a easier way other then meters?

101,935

An ohm meter is the best way when dealing with charging problems as you don't want to short something out and possibly blow a diode in the alternator.

10

alright just one more question in my tail end my original tail lights went out replaced light still didn't work then eventually on my passenger side my brake light and tail light and my reverse lights are on when i start my truck wont go off when its running any thoughts?

101,935

Cross circuit to a hot when on wire for all 3 to be on at once, check if it has a trailer connector, a lot of lighting troubles can be linked to that. there is a main plug that feeds the rear lights under the hood on the drivers side under the brake master cylinder down low, if you look closely you can see where it comes up the frame rail and meets the connector, I have seen a lot of people try to make lights work by messing there. HTH