Why is the back window of our 1982 breaking? This is the third time.

Asked by May 06, 2014 at 10:20 AM about the 1982 Chevrolet Corvette

The first time it happened it was sitting in the garage. It hadn't been moved for months.
Safe lite came out and fixed it and that one busted within an hour. Now it's busted again.

24,035

Nice car- but that glass must be gettin' expensive- this is all in your garage?! nobody's throwin' rocks at it? only two things I can think of- the glass doesn't fit right or you have poltergeists in your garage- seriously, check the window moulding, the rubber, around the window- it must be new- make sure the glass you're gettin' is the right size- no bends in the metal, like from a wreck? change the guy who's puttin' it in- and burn some sage around your garage, chanting quietly, "may the American Spirits of Sports cars bless my new glass and chase away all evil"

105,485

I've heard this before in corvettes, most had a body flex problem of some type, make sure the tires are of equal pressure as that is easy to check, the next is to check all of the body mount bushings looking for deteriorated rubber or damaged mounts, then when you do have a new glass installed make sure the car is on level ground and is not moved for at least 24 hours. HTH

1,205

Okay, the first guy says to make sure there are no bends in the metal. The contact surface that the window adheres to is fiberglass. The next guy says to make sure the tires are evenly inflated. Really? Because if one tires is inflated too much on this car with independent suspention, it will cause the frame and body to twist so much that the window will crack? Either there is aome sort of temperature extreme change happening or someone is breaking your window.These cars do NOT suffer from body flex that breaks rear windows. The body is mounted on a full frame.

105,485

OK Sarge, as it is in a garage, temps should be moderated, you've ruled out under inflated tire, bad body mount. What is it's cause. I'm always open to new ideas to check out.

5

ok in ur garage the heat is causing the metal to expand so try cracking ur front windows about 2-4 inches the old square style s10 had the same prob hope it helps

1,205

Klinder7... What metal is expanding exactly?

1,205

I would like to hear what the glass replacement guys have to say. I have never heard of this happening unless someone is causing it. Had a GTO as a teen that would do wheelstands and it still wouldn't break the windows even while pulling the left front tire a few inches higher than the right. Maybe it's the suspicious cop in me but I think maybe you have an enemy.

When the glass guy came out to replace it in October he said a rock from the lawn mower must have hit it. He replaced the glass and told us not to drive it for an hour. Some friends came over and we was sitting in the garage, car had not been touched. It was a little over an hour after the glass guy left and it was just like something inside exploded. It exploded outward. A hole on each side about the size of a dessert plate. When it broke this morning it has two holes just like the last time.

24,035

Holes, like you can put your hand through?! True that, the Vette is fiberglass of course- but the body does flex, the frame flexes, all god's chillun gots de flex- but you say your car is just sitting there and it EXPLODES OUTWARD leaving 2 HOLES??- omg- time to call ghostbusters-

1,205

Is this the Special Edition with the opening rear hatch?

1,205

Otherwise, I'm smelling a hoax.

This is not a hoax ! The first 2 times it happened, it was in the garage. The last one it was sitting outside the garage. 2 holes blowing outward about the size of a dessert plate.

It's not the special addition.

105,485

I had a 1956 Edsel that kept doing the same thing to the rear window, every time the weather warmed up, after 3 years and 4 broken rear glass we found that the material that the seat were redone with was out gassing inside during the heat and causing just enough stress on the glass that any little noise would cause the glass to pop, had the seats redone in a different material and the problem went away, it sounded strange to me at the time but after the seats were done the problem was gone. Might be something to look into.

OK Kids....I own a 1987 Corvette with all new weather stripping installed last year. It was stored over the winter and I did not crack the windows. Consequently, the window in the hatch area imploded; the pistons were extended. Shame on me......We had extreme temps here in Western NY. No rocks falling....the car is in a safe place. I have had a teachable moment.