MAPS Sensor

115

Asked by Aug 22, 2011 at 06:28 AM about the 1989 Ford F-150

F-150, 5.0 EFI 5 sp standard. This truck had always been a Colorado truck. Now in Texas 7 1/2 years. Come to find out why it would go to high idle (normal) then drop immediately 200-300 rpm or die... 2nd strart no problem. Pulled a MAP sensor off a junked F-150 three starts later (computer adjusting)? problem gone:)
Two different areas a MAP Sensor is set for at the factory... California/Southern warmer climates AND Northern colder regions. Am I correct in this? An ace Ford mechanic nailed this one for me...I can't take the credit for this one.

115

Papa - have you heard or know if this is so about Ford MAP sensors on Fords?

no,not really,a map sensor does what it is supposed to do,no mattr what the cliament

35

You can also try pulling off your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve and clean it out with carb cleaner and then hitting it lightly with some super oil or wd40. The valve is located right on top of your intake manifold just after the rubber hosing coming from the air box for your intake. it should be held in with 2 either 5/16" or 7/16 bolts. hope this helps!

115

Mentioned already that one of our mechanics is a Ford guy. Greg said FORD vehicles sent to California and southern U.S. have different MAP (programmed?) than colder climates i.e. Colorado. Another carguru suggested idle control motor my response below.... Been their done that...pete & "repete"! on the idle control motor. The post on installing MAP sensor from a truck that was probably shipped/sold this part of the country (Texas) corrected the problem. I ran a car fax on my 89 F-150 when purchased in Colorado and it was shipped/sold in Greeley, CO. I've been fighting this problem the 7 1/12 years since moving to Texas. Time will tell but last two start-ups were today (Tuesday) and Monday - parked previous Thursday w/o starting it three days. Both starts - no problem high idle...then short while normal idle. I was posting to give other "gear" heads a heads up:)

Im not doubting your friend,butI been in the business + trucking 40 + years,mechanic all of them.the map is the same from east to west, north to south.only different tuneing is in col,mile high city that is because the air is thinner.

7,495

youre correct on this. except i dont think even colorado has different tuning when using a MAP sensor. i could be wrong though. speed density tuning is the only tuning that requires changes from different elevations. map tuning does not.

it dont,just did not mention it was for carbaroted engines,dont affect fuel injection.

115

I'll be the first to say I am no mechanic...I just fix things (most of the time!:) Whether it was happenstance that I was made aware of a possible solution or the FORD gods at play (helping for a change) just removing the original MAP S. and using the one from the salvage yard has, it seems, corrected the problem? I'll let you know should I become a D.R.O.F. (Driver Routinely On Foot)

HAY,if a yard map fixed the problem,great.hope you dont become a D R O F-LOLhope I was of some help.good luck with it.