I just bought a 85 f150 4.9 4×4 4 on the floor carburated straight 6 with 52,000 miles its a really clean truck.. Is there any problems they have? Anything I should check or watch out for??

Asked by Oct 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM about the 1985 Ford F-150

5,970

That is actually a 300 CI motor they are very strong. Had one with over 300,000 and it still ran strong when we scaped it due to electrical problem and it was rusted out really bad

104,385

Manifolds warp, make sure the bolts are kept to specs, typical Ford stuff like ignition modules going bad, water pump, hubs, the carb may start giving you some trouble with this fuel, also replace all rubber fuel lines if they haven't been done already. I would drain and refill the front and rear diffs, the trans and transfer case cause from the mileage it looks like it has done a lot of setting and that leads to condensation in places you don't what it. Just remember this is a low RPM Hi torque engine, it can't stand high speeds, so keep the RPM's down and it will last a long time. I had a Bronco that had the fuel injected 4.9 and a 4 speed that I bought new and afterwards I wish I had got the 5 speed as it was an option then but didn't, it was fine on the secondary roads no faster than 55 but I had to stay off the freeway, it just ran too close to redline. Good luck with you new rig.

Thank you for your answersi appreciate it it was garage kept its whole life older gentleman owned it it is a true find

5,970

The one we had The only real problem we had was it sat for long periods at a time and the fuel lines and brake lines did rust out. And we had to rebuild the carb once. It had 4:11 possie front and rear so the mileage was not very good but it would pull anything you wanted to pull or haul we used for hauling fire wook and it could hold a lot of wood and go through the fields and woods with no problem at all. Had the 4 speed manual tranny with granny gear in it. And the 8' box

20,860

What you have is a twenty eight year old vehicle which appears to have been driven less than two thousand miles a year. Lack of use can cause a lot of problems with vehicles, especially in things like a/c's and any and all gasket materials. Change and flush all fluids and lubricants. Dismantle the brake system and clean. Personally, I rebuild the entire brake system. Things can get really rusty and bind with non-use. I'd even go as far as removing the gas tank and have it steamed cleaned inside, replace the fuel lines, and definitely the filter. Tune up the vehicle and change wires Sounds like you found a little gem. No sense in beginning to have pain in the butt issues because the vehicle is being used normally now.

25

OJ, no need to do all that... I am a certified Ford Master tech( 30+years), all I would do is change the oil, top of diffs and trans, flush brake lines and new fluid, change fuel filter. If its running good, don't tune it. One word of advice on the 4.9, they all utilize a plastic distributor gear and they deteriorate over time, but especially on a vehicle that hasn't been driven a bunch, if the truck isn't driven, especially to NOT's, the acids in the motor oil leach into the plastic and they crack, and the gear fails, if and when this happens it means a quit or a no start condition. Replace with a bronze gear. If something isn't broke, don't fix it, period. All you'll end up doing is maintaining yourself into the red.