Scored a 1979 Project Truck. Thinking abt putting a 7.3 power stroke in it or possible a cummins. I am set on turning the truck to diesel, and 5spd man. Any thoughts?

Asked by Jan 10, 2012 at 07:56 PM about the 1979 Ford F-150

1979 Ford F150. Solid Body, needs love.  Color is going to Orange with Pearl Green Flames, Aluminum Bed for a 5th wheel car trailer is going on it.  Stacks (of course)!  Interior will be black & pearl green. Bucket seats. And More.  Looking for Ideas & Input.

A psd is more headache than most ppl think, go with a IDI if you want simplicity and reliable power (I've seen one take in some water and it just turned it into steam and kept on slinggin mud). or if you want turbos as well then you could source some from a smaller industrial diesel engine. I would get 2 turbo's one for each side ( would require custom headers and must be heat wrapped or sheild your nerby pastic components) and then plumb the exhaust out through the back of the fenderwells near the cab and under the floor on either side of the frame then to your stacks behind the cab. would be cool to get stacks that have mufflers in them like transport trucks do since from the turbo to the stack it would be straight pipe. the ZF5 speed is a tough transmission, but I don't really know much about the transmission for the cummins. but if you are thinking about cummins engine then go for a P-pumped 12v, you can find them almost anywhere, the ones that are on idustrial equipment like tractors, pumps, generators, and construction are best because they may not see as much use and when they are run they are run for long periods of time, usually.

I knw the wiring for the ps is a pain, I own 2 of them, but they are unstoppable and beg to be abused. I got the idea for the cummins from my hubby. He has been doing this for 17 years. He got his hands on a cummins motor from a friend of ours for a great $ and was going to do a project with it, but I talked him into giving it to me. He likes cars more than trucks anyway. Thank You For the ideas!!

putting a cummins in a car would be heavenly