Where is the voltage regulator located on 77f150?

Asked by Mar 12, 2014 at 05:04 PM about the 1977 Ford F-150

Hi, my headlights aren't working, I just bought this pickup and haven't worked on this kind of vehicle. So, I'm trying to eliminate posibilities. I do know that it has a blown fuse, (so do I) but I riged it to w ork but still no lights. wondering if the voltage regulator is working. I did check to make sure the headlights are connected, They are. Etc. It's been thirty five years and I ain't the mechanic I used to be. Have mercy and just tell me what's wrong.:-)
Doug

92,815

Most common failure on a Ford of that vintage is the headlight switch, you will have to remove the instrument cluster trim, wiper knob, headlight switch knob and shaft to gain access to the nut that holds the switch in place, then take out the screw that holds the air duct right above the switch and then you can pull up the switch and wiring so you can unplug it, then look closely at all on the contacts for burning problems if the connectors are burnt then you will have to either replace the connector or put on new connectors one at a time on the new switch, then reassemble it. Hope this all helped.

Probably helpful. I was hopeing to avoid taking the panel off and looking at the switch, but it's my luck that your probly right. I have to copy these instuctions with pencil and paper because the printer isn,t working at the moment. I'll post the results. Thanks Doug

92,815

Forgot to mention that I have seen some of the dimmer switches do this also, but usually you can click them a few times and the lights will work if that is a problem.

So my wife says (why don't you take the laptop out to the truck?) I love her. OK Please tell how to take the knobs off without destroying them.

OK I'll re connect the battery then try the dimmer switch.

92,815

On the wiper knob there will be a small slot for a small screwdriver to slid up into, you have to slid up the shaft to contact a little metal tab, pull out on the screwdriver as you pull slightly on the knob and it should slide right off. The headlight knob doesn't look stock so it might have a small set screw that holds it on, if not then you have to slide up under the dash with a light locate the headlight switch knob and shaft release button on the switch itself, it is a small metal button that sticks out on the metal base, after you have located it then you turn on the headlights, then push in and hold the button as you pull out the knob and shaft. OK?

This switch is pretty crusty, can I bypass the switch?

92,815

Yes you can, just jumper the the horizontal with one of the 2 vertical then turn on the headlights and see if they work.

I Jumped it but it still doesn't work. I have a bad feeling that all the connections on this truck are corroded and will need cleaning. I'm outside so I can't do this all night. Plus I'm old and decreped? I'll get back with you manana. Thanks for the help Dopug

92,815

OK tomorrow then.