How many bolts are on an FMX tranny that backs up a 400?

1,265

Asked by Dec 11, 2012 at 04:54 PM about the 1977 Ford F-150

I have a 1977 Ford F150 with a 400 backed up by a FMX tranny and I need to replace the tranny. Could anyone tell me how many bolts there are and where they are located? Thanks!

575

Tyler, (I think?) The easy answer to your question is SIX bolts, two at the top and two on each side....that is as long as you have an FMX in the truck like you say you do. I read your earlier post about your starter issues and the other info you provided about your truck so I'm going to attempt to clear up some things that seem (to me) to still be unresolved. First, I'll start with the Engine/Trans info you provided (400/FMX). In 1977 Ford never produced an F-150 4WD with that engine/trans combo. Ford DID install FMX Transmissions in two (ONLY two) Trucks in 1977 and neither of them were 4WD, and BOTH of them had 300 CI six cyl engines. So, I highly doubt that your truck has an FMX just based on the historical Ford data. If your truck DOES have an FMX trans that just meens that the trans isn't original to your truck. If it's a 1977 FMX (from a Ford Truck) it will have one of two Trans codes attached to the Trans Tag (PHC-A3 or PHC-B3). Anything OTHER than those two trans codes, and you either don't have an FMX in the Truck, or you have a CAR Trans that was somehow adapted to work with your 4WD truck. I tend to believe that your truck has a C6 installed in it just because that is the ONLY trans Ford used in 4WD Trucks in 1977. The GOOD news is that the mountiing locations (and # of bolts) is exactly the same for a C6 and an FMX (provided the trans is attached to a 351M or a 400) This brings me to my next point... (your engine) Seeing how a 351M and a 400 are 100% IDENTICAL in thier external appearance, It's for you to determine which engine you actually have. You said (eight months ago) "It is a 400, I know this for a fact". I'm going to take your word for it with the understanding that you removed the oil pan and clearly identified the markings on the crankshaft. The crankshaft and the rods are the only (internal) differances between a 351M and a 400. Heads, intake, block are all the same on both engines...same casting codes. The trouble you had with the starter would seem as if you were installing a FMX starter in a C6 (it's too short to engage). If your engine and Transmission still have thier original "Tags" attached, and you can read the codes on them... Post them here and I'd be happy to decode them for you. Hope this (factual) info helps move you in a positive direction with getting your Truck up and running...good luck. Riff.

Best Answer
1,265

Thanks Riff, I appreciate all the further information. And I do know that it is a 400, all the information I have on the truck itself identifies it as a 400. I appreciate all help. And it seems possible that it could be a c6 now that I think about it. But I'm not a 100% sure. I am going to try dropping the tranny this summer and putting another one in it that is identical, but the starter makes contact. But thank you. I appreciate it a million.