What tranny does my truck have?

1,275

Asked by Apr 10, 2012 at 05:02 PM about the 1977 Ford F-150

I have a 1977 F150 Ranger with a 400 in it. Its a 4wd but instead of lockouts, its got a gear shift in it. Its a factory highboy. There is a picture attached.

495

Either a C-6 or FMX...Fmx most likley...

1,275

Ok. How will I tell the difference?

165

I believe a C6 bellhousing is cast right in the rest of the transmission so you cant unbolt it and throw it on a engine in a different engine family. i think the FMX has a unboltable bell housing, I have a C6 in a 75 with a 390, it will take some terrible abuse and was known to be dependable It has pulled awful loads on trailers, i cant remeber anything to bad about the FMX either. these were tough old trucks with good rear ends and transfercase.

Best Answer
495

Trans code is on the drivers door...Above answer is correct both are tough...

1,275

Well, according to you "Cheap", that means I would have a FMX tranny. Its got 3 bolts. 1 on each side and then one on the top. Do you know anyway that I could make a starter connect with the flywheel? Because right now I can't get it to touch. Not one starter will touch it. I've tried new, I've tried old, I've tried long, I've tried short. And nothing will connect.

165

well the only starters i can remeber that needed to go in a long ways were the ones on old FE motors like the 352's and 390's which had a really long shaft on the motor my uncle would get these starter to drive a offset counter weight with them to make a shaker for rattling sticky dirt out of dump trucks. so i am wondering if you really have a 400 in it. i think the 400 motors water pump is right tight to the front of the motor. a FE motor has a 3/4 inch gap inbetween the front of the motor and back of the pump.

1,275

It is a 400. I know this for a fact. I'm not sure how to get the starter to make contact with the flywheel. I've tried all these starters and none have worked. Is there a difference in the sprocket sizes or are they all the same?

165

welli this could get interesting especially with what got swapped out, I suppose they could have different diameters, too small of one and the starter wont touch it. I would talk to a machine shop because they put new ring gears on when a starter chews one up, maybe they can tell you what you are suppose to have,Good luck on trying to measure a diameter thru the access cover and going across the flywheel with everything together I suppose it wouldnt be fun to pull everything apart just to get at a ring gear especially with 4 wheel drive. Was this thing running before you got it?

495

Maybe someone put the flex plate (Or Flywheel as you call it) on backwards...Not sure if that is possible...That might move it enough that starter will not engage...I had a quite a few 351C-351M-400's and never had a problem finding a starter that fit...

165

i agree that ford never had to much trouble with starters on the newer ford engines. the only ones i seen long shaft starters was the older FE motors and they were industrial use motors. i have a sad feeling you will be splitting the motor and tranny to get it figured out. it could be worse you could be pulling shim sin and out of a chevy starter trying to figure out whats going onlike my neghbor is on his big block chevy, he is killing starters for some reason.

495

Your neighbor probably has a warped flex plate...

165

he just blew the 400 up he had stuck a lot of money in and slapped a 454 in it, i enjoy watching the drama and struggles and just remind him that there must be a reason why the government owns 500 million shares of the company. i will give him some credit, he's ambitious i would be driving something else by now.