1987 s10. I have replaced fuel filter, oil and oil filter, distributor, and coil.

20

Asked by Feb 04, 2014 at 12:48 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet S-10

My 1987 s10 will not stay running. It idles
for about 30 seconds and then dies.

the idle air control comes in contact with the fuel stream...controlling it and squelchin' it down to hit idle speed....can get encrusted with varnish...pull it off and insure correct operation...and/or replace the idle air control altogether~

Might be spark related....often the MAIN ground connection...1/0 Black Battery cable connection to ground (the lug end) Not the clamp end...gets silently encrusted with corrosion and oxides and becomes a "brown power" situation because the power cannot make it back to the ground connection...what you must do to mend this situation is wirebrush that lug and the ground where it bolts to...it isn't JUST the 300 cold cranking amps needed...it's the ECU...the heated 02 sensor....the temp sensor and ignition becomes 30,000 volts instead of 50,000 volts...still runs okay but not up to par~

20

Thanks

20

But I took my valve cover off and one of my lifters was just laying in there. I put it back on and had to buy a kit to 're tap the bolt. If I habe it to tight or to loose could that be the problem? I have replaced the fuel regulator also.

16,875

fuel pressure on a tbi engine should be 11-16psi. Hydrolic lifters need to be adjusted while the engine is running

...okay, I think that I'm getting the picture...the STUD was ripped out?...this would make the engine run unevenly...or barely at all if ripped out....please explain how did it run before the major problems~?

reminds me of screwin' up a timing belt replacement...bending one of the valves and would not run on ONE cylinder....was your truck only running on three cylinders? must have....this fuel problem would pale in comparison to this major engine component on the loose~

So where we are at now is the valve train is working normally, the V/C is back in place...but it doesn't run for any length of time as if the fuel filter is stopped up....or the source is so snuff-ocated with rust particles that only a small quantity of gas can get through~...I'd do a bit of inspecting here, now-- -look at the feed to the fuel pump clamp the one end and see if you can draw fuel through the filter...perhaps "siphon" into a nearby gas tank...if there was an obstruction...it would not flow~...at the shop we had a "sucking tool" basically made from a bicycle pump what you could draw fluids out with (perfect if you've overfilled the coolant jug or brake fluid reservoir)....if you could "suck" the source of the fuel....and it's like a Malted that's blockin' the straw....would see about the health of your gas tank....if crumbly crusty RUST particles are our enemy here....would suggest a poly tank...unless you plan to keep this truck a shorter time...then steel~