1987 S-10, is the fuel pump in gas tank?

Asked by Dec 21, 2012 at 09:33 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet S-10

Truck drives for for short periods, then starts missing, backfiring, etc., then will be fine again.  Very intermittent problem, seems worse in hot weather.  Have changed alternator, fuel filter, wondering if it is fuel pump?

241,695

Fuel pump is in the gas tank. Did you check all the vacuum hoses for leaks? Recently tuned up the truck with new plugs and wires?

595

COULD ALSO BE VAPOR LOCK,CHECK FUEL FEED LINES MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT CLOSE TO HOT SPOTS (EXHUST MANIFOLD OR OTHER HOT AREAS)

Thanks very much to both of you. Gives me a couple of possibilities to check before going the fuel pump replacement. Very helpful, and makes life a little simpler for a single lady needing auto work. Maybe I can sound like I know what I'm talking about when I take it in for repairs...

33,965

Vapor lock is a term used in carbureted cars, his pickup is the first year for TBI and it has an electronic pump, vapor lock won't happen. Also turn caps lock off unless your angry and trying to get a point across.

685

check your fuel pump ground, if that's bad it will cause an intermittent problem that acts like it's the pump starting to go bad. don't let this go for long because after a while it will burn your pump out. the pump is fuel cooled, so low voltage=low flow=hot pump.