choking and dying when starting

Asked by Feb 14, 2007 at 02:24 AM about the 1986 Chevrolet S-10

I have an 86 chevy s10 pick-up 4x4 extended cab V6 2.8L. First start of the day, she fires up with no problem. After I drive her, turn her off and restart her, she often chokes. She will chug and die numerous times and smells horribly of exhaust/gasoline. If I step on the gas to prevent it from stalling, the gas will just cut out, even if I am still pressing on the peddle. It doesn't do this every time, but it is pretty close. And it only happens after the vehicle has been running. Also after it gets started once it goes through the choking and dying, it idols extremely high. I can go a steady 20mph without putting my foot on the gas. She is only getting about 12 mpgallon. I have tried to change the fuel filter but cant seem to get it lose, it is clamped on too tight. Any thoughts?

18,035

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about all those problems! Here is a link for diagnosing the no-warm-start problem: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/bl304a.htm I think you should run through the recommended checks. It might be a good idea to have the car tuned up as well, just a basic check of belts, filters, connections, etc. I hope this helps and your truck is running normally soon! CarGrrl

95

Sounds like your engine is flooding with fuel. By hitting the gas when trying to start it you're only contributing to the problem. Since you can start it cold and then it's after driving it for a while that the problems begins it sounds like you've gotten crud between the needle and seat in the carburator, or you've got a stuck float. ~Sophie~