Brakes

Asked by May 17, 2011 at 12:50 AM about the 1978 Chevrolet Suburban

Hi all. I've got a 1978 Chevrolet Suburban. I have always had brake troubles with it. It has a nearly new Proportioning valve on it. However, my brake light always stays lit and it feels as though I hardly ever have the appropriate pressure. I have replaced master cylinders countless times. Any suggestions as to what my problem is? Thanks Chris.

Similar problem, pedal goes to floor at low speeds and idle fine once pressure is built up or high speeds did you ever get it figured out?

10

there is a electric switch under hood on right side about 6 inch back from radiator my be bad brake pressure brakes need bleed or adjusted will fix problem will have to do about 2 times a year

Nope I still haven't gotten it figured out. However, yes at slow speeds it wants to go to the floor. The shop that put the valve on it couldn't figure it out. I heard of a trick of tying the calipers to the A-arms to help get air out of the system. I'm not sure if that will work. Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated! Forgot I posted this.

75

If they are old the rubber hoses near the rear brakes could actually be stretching causing the system to loose preasure.