I have a weird rim, the valve stem is like tucked inside rim. there are screw caps though on rim though that you unscrew and then there is the valve stem, but since it is tucked in you cant actually put air through it, so I was wondering is there a such extender for this or do I have to take apart the rim?

Asked by Jan 17, 2014 at 03:05 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

70,815

Sounds like someone put the wrong valve stems (too short) on the wheels. Or, possibly, like my Father used to do, someone tucked the valve stems in on purpose to prevent the air from being let out of the tires. HTH. - Jim

It is tucked in a hole that has a hole with edges for a metal cap. It's a special rim. I'll try to post a pic later today

15,955

Is the stem sticking just out of the rim or through a wheel cover/ hub cap? The rim as far as I remember has a hole the stem sticks through and has a rubber seal that covers the hole both inside the rim and on the outside. If the stem is tucked in the rim, the seal is broken and the air rushes out and your tire is flat. The hub cap can hide or hold the stem inside. Maybe removal of the hub cap and repositioning it directly over the stem will allow it to protrude out enough to use the valve stem.

The stem on a normal tire comes through a hole and pops up and then has a tire cap. My rims have a hole and the stem is in it but like pushed in because there is a Grove for a metal cap to screw into to the hole covering the stem and to make it just a shiny chrome rim when you look at tire. I assume I need to possibly ply rim off tire to pop stem out to put air into tire and then I can push stem back down

15,955

So you can get the screw cap off, but the stem is very short and a normal air hose will not fit in the hole to connect to the valve? have you tried to pull it up with a pair of pliers? Gently of course and being careful not to scratch the rim or ruin the threads on the valve. A tire shop may have such an extension that may fit. New and exciting things are wonderful until its time to fix them.

Yes the caps come off. You can see the stem top. But you can't fit any thing around it to pull it up. I guess technically I can try tweezers on the middle piece you can push down to release air but otherwise there is no room. Thanks for answers by the way.

15,955

OK, I thought it was laying down in a groove so prying it up may have helped. So it is recessed? That is strange indeed , If you put a strong pair of tweezers in, wiggle it back and forth. The rubber may have gotten hot inside the tire capture hole and self glued itself to the wall. Try WD-40 or a penetrating oil to help loosen it up. Maybe an exacto knife to go around the outside of the stem? Sounds like I'll stick to the old style rims of having a stem being seen going around and around.