Car runs fine in park, but in gear will sometimes stall

15

Asked by Nov 25, 2015 at 02:51 PM about the 1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Sometimes the car drives fine, but then randomly, say at a stop light, when you step on the gas the car will act like its not getting gas and stall. Then i have to try pumping the gas while starting it to get it started. The car feels unsafe to drive because of this reason, it can happen at any time, so it could leave me in a bad situation if im making a left turn and it stalls out on me. When this issue occurs, putting the car in park it'll run fine,  but in gear it will struggle to idle.

41,025

I would suggest a tuneup and possibly a new or rebuilt carburetor.

15

i paid 125.00 for a rebuilt carburator, old was exchanged for a rebuilt. The engine was rebuiilt in 2010 along with transmission. it was converted to electronic ignition, i have tried replacing carburator choke spring, ignition coil, ignition control module, fuel pump, distributor cap/wires, alternator. I think the guy took parts from my old carburator and used them on the rebuilt, i noticed my old choke spring was used on it, so not sure if maybe he used something else that was maybe bad, so carburator is still a possibility if thats the case. Other thing i havnt chnaged yet but dont know if that could cause this problem, my muffler is louder than it should be so im pretty sure its bad.

15

i should of said i paid 125.00 for rebuilt carburator trying to see if it would fix this problem and it didnt

15

Other thing i forgot to mention is when the car sits for 5 days and i try to start it, i step on the gas pedal one time, then try starting it and itll take 15sec of nonstop starting before it starts up

15

any recommendations for a NEW carburator thats not too expensive

41,025

The choke may just need adjusting. If you take the air cleaner off when the car is cold and set the choke by stepping on the gas once it should be fully closed. If it is open then you can adjust it. Without seeing your carb I cannot say how exactly. I still recommend a tuneup if you have not done one recently. If the car sits a lot, things get gummed up so I would run some Seafoam fuel system cleaner in a tank of gas. Stepping on the gas and the car dying could mean a bad accelerator pump so a new carb still sounds like a good idea. Not everyone can rebuild a carburetor properly and sometimes the body gets warped making it impossible to tune right.

Best Answer
15

Thank you for answering my question, i'm gonna try getting a new carburator

15,725

I had an old 1980 Honda Accord with a three barrel carburetor that needed replacement. The shop told me that they could only guarantee the new one, which I decided to purchase. The car ran like a new car after that, so, I hope your experience is similar. Carburetors are very tricky and highly calibrated devices and sometimes you just can't get an old one or even a rebuilt one to be as exacting as a brand new replacement. It was pretty expensive though to replace, that one for the Honda cost $500.