Why does my gas tank overflow when it's not full?

205

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 02:36 PM about the 1983 Chevrolet Malibu

This just started recently but when
I'm pumping gas no matter how
much was in there before I pumped it
it squirts back out as if it's already
full. I can fill it up eventually but it
takes forever. I've heard of this
happening on new cars but not on
older ones. I also know I'm gonna
need a fuel pump at some point
cause it takes a few starts to keep it
running when it's cold, not sure if it's
related to the gas tank issue. If
anyone can help me solve this
problem I would greatly appreciate it.

4,615

there is a problem with the fuel tank vent hose.

79,265

Sounds like the vent valve for the EVAP system is stuck closed. Since it's an OBD I vehicle it will not set a trouble code or cause the check engine light to come on. As for the starting issue, check the choke plate on the carburetor. When the engine is cold press the gas pedal to the floor once and release. Remove the top of the air cleaner. The choke plate should be fully closed. HTH. -Jim

140

I have the same issue with my 2010 Malibu. How much does the fuel tank vent hose cost to get fixed?

50

I'm dealing with this same issue with my 1988 cutlass supreme. I've changed my gas tank out and the three rubber lines coming from the fuel sending unit, before it turns back into steel lines. So where is this vent hose supposed to be ?

Drive 2017 Malibu new one everytime go fill up gas comes back out thinking no way it can be full but check gas gauge it will say full thinking could Malibu run good on gas

30

My brand new 2017 Malibu LT is only taking in 9gallons I've let the gas light come on twice already and when I fill it still on takes 9 gallons.called my dealer he said the issue will fixs it's self through out time it'll fill at 13 gallons ???? Sounds like bs to me ?? What should i do?

110,495

I call BS.

79,265

I agree. Some dealers HATE doing warranty work. But guess what, it's under warranty and they need to fix it for free for you!! Make an appointment. Sounds like the vent valve is stuck closed. HTH. -Jim

I am having the same issue with it not filling up. 2017 Malibu. I've been dealing with this for a year. I contacted GM about Lemon Law and they started working with me. They stated that they were going to send a tech to fix, keep in mind the car has been back six or seven times for the same issue that the dealership's techs tried to fix with GM's recommendations. After the fix was completed they would "compensate me." Basically they were going to say it was fixed, pay me, and make me sign a hold harmless agreement so I could do nothing else. When I told my rep at GM i consulted, not hired, an attorney and they said that's what they would do, she freaked out! Now they won't return a call or an email. Car is in the dealership now, as GM sent a tech out. This has been an issue with the Malibu since 2011 and GM admitted to knowing about it. The specialty tech admitted the same today. Two parties that have admitted guilt. We need forty people to start a class action lawsuit..............Just saying.