paint

Asked by Jul 05, 2008 at 03:08 PM about the 1976 Chevrolet Corvette

I have recently inherited a 1976 which has been improperly stored for the past few years and it has what I can only assume is oil stains on the paint plus the body feels gritty and paint was spilled on it.  I would like to not have to repaint it as it has the original paint job from the factory.  Other than this the body/paint has bno damage axcept a few spots where the paint has flaked on the back and tee-top.  Any suggestions on how to clean it?

8,325

I hate to say it m8, but the damage might already be done... Some may recommend 0000 steel wool to get the spilled paint off then a rubbing compound to bring the color back in that area(never dealt with spilled paint so can't say for sure), so I'm confident that you could get that out, what worries me are the 'oil' stains. Those likely have soaked into the paint and prolley can't be removed now. (I have streaks on the hood of my 914 from a similar problem.) You may need to bite the bullet and have it repainted, but I'd ask a few body/detailing shops in your area. Maybe they could give better advice, I couldn't find any in my case but maybe there will be better luck for you.

25

you might be able to wet sand though the spilled pain but only the spilled paint be carful not to hit the actual color with it or you'll hit the primer. the oil stains are a tough one. you can try auto parts stores and stores that sell body shop supplies the might have special cleaners and for the rest of the body just buff it with like micro finish compund nothing heavy. but go easy because you dont no how much clear is left on the car. good luck!