350 motor

Asked by Mar 14, 2017 at 02:42 AM about the 1980 Chevrolet Impala

I have a 1980 chevy impala with a v6 229
engine what type of 350 can i put in it

19,995

Any type GM, do you you want to run an engine with ECM or without electronic control module?

I think with out one

19,995

Basically in the early 80's basic ECM's were introduced for emissions control and these were interchangeable GM-GM by 87 or so most also had basic trans controls too so if you find one with these early basic controlled engine and trans set pull the ecm too. Your 80 I doubt has either but if any is the emission controller. Some 80 Olds & pre 80 Cadillacs had controllers. Like I said these first controller were easy workarounds. Its not until throttle body came along that if used will need its ECM with the basic trans controller for trans if same year trans is used or a stand alone ECM and by I am guessing a tad here and say by 91-92 all GM trans had a fully computer controlled unit in ECM So if used you need the ECM that came with that engine and its trans model or a stand alone unit. If you go pre 80's as I did with a 1981 olds cutlass I used a 1971 set up, I also pulled its trans. You don't have to think about it. But on the other hand throttle body is better in a lot of ways. I suggest you research any set up prior to buying to know the route needed for your car & set up cost ect.

O ok cool my mechanic told me about the same thing iam try to find about 71-83 chevy 350. So i want have to run that ecm. In i rather have carb i like the sound better

I have the v6 229 itz runing. Good nothin wrong with it but i want to do a 350 in itz single pipe but iam dual it out 40 sires flow master

19,995

Same here, I added true duals with bottle mufflers (not cherry bombs or glass packs) but similar to turbo mufflers sound (I forget the name), I wanted them to be up high out of the way and really did not want too much restriction on flow in my pipes with big chrome tips welded on. They (Pre computer 350) are around, Many trucks came with 4 bolt mains. But if 2 bolt mains is all you locate it will work fine. If going stock I would think Camaro, Chevelle, ect or sports cars because the luxury & passenger car 350's are not cammed the same and offer less power and may have already been upgraded if not doing any upgrades yourself. Some of all Gm cars models Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Chevy, Gm all came with or was optioned for the Chevy 350 and the 350 Chevy by far the cheapest to build on a budget and get gobs of power it was made to be hot rodded.

Not goin to do much just want a stock 350 n some headers. Not trying to race or anything. I was goin. Do a 4 bolt main. Thats what everyone tellin me to get why people dont like 2 bolt main

79,695

Check out Chevy crate engines. http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines.html

Yes i. Been. Lookin at them on jegs.com 1500

19,995

The 2 bolt blocks with splayed caps have been proven to be just as good as 4 bolts or even better. For stock power your fine with 2 bolts regular stock mains.

O ok cool thanks thats what i figure. U have any pics of ur 80 olds

19,995

I may but not digital. I will have to look for them it was a 81.

O ok

19,995

Here is a pic I found on the net that looks a lot like the one I had, Mine Crager SS chrome wheels wider than in this picture and much thicker rear tires and had 16 inch chrome exhaust tips and interior is the same colors and the exterior of mine may have been a littler lighter.

19,995

My exhaust came straight out the rear under the bumper.

I think iam go behind tires

19,995

At the same time I did mine a friend was building a 74 Pontiac Firebird Formula, he did his out behind the tires & up along the body with the slant ends it looked cool and we did our exhaust the same place and same day and we we did our a little different but they both looked good, I think the slant upward behind the rear tire on the Firebird was a nice look for the exhaust.

19,995

I found a 74 Firebird that looks just like his. Only his tips started closer to the back of the tires and ran along closer to the body and out a little further and larger diameter as were mine too.

Nice

Is $1100. A good price to rebuild a chevy 350 engine