Is it really worth it?

25

Asked by Feb 17, 2008 at 07:22 PM about the 1976 Chevrolet Impala

I bought a 76 impala 4 door last year. So far it's been a nightmare. Worse gas mileage and to many things falling apart. I want to re-build it but so far the cost has been higher then expected. I figure even if I do re-build it I won't be able to afford to drive it around much thanks to the extreme gas cost. I don't know if I should just give up and get a different car.

42,535

I would consider giving it up. They are cool, but they are 32-year-old vehicles. I had a 1977 Cadillac Sedan deVille with 32k original miles back in '01. Looked nice when I bought it but stuff quickly started falling apart, from years of non-use followed by constant daily use. Gas mileage was horrible even compared to the '78 Eldo I had later. The 4-door ones will never be worth as much as a two-door anyway so it's likely not worth "restoring" in any capacity beyond that required to stay road-legal. Just my 2 cents, and this is from a guy who has spent his whole life driving "old cars."

25

Yeah I just don't know what to do next. I bought it cheap off a friend leaving for Iraq and it was supposed to be decent but it had sat around in his driveway for a year or so then I didn't mess with it for 3 or 4 months. It needs alot but money is tight right now. It is that toss up i can't afford a new car right now but it is sucking up alot of money in gas so it is costing me nearly as much as a payment on something new. I really think I need to get it off my back and pick something different for my first re-build. I think I just got sucked up in how cheap it was for how good the body was. I only spent $400 to buy it and have since spent a $1000 just keeping it rolling. I guess it's time I put her out to pasture. Thanks for the advice.

if u still have then in my opinion its worth it because once fixed up if u want to sell than u can for way more than its worth now.

5

This body style is hot right now for anyone looking for a demolishon derby. Post it on e-bay and as long as it is solid you should be able to get a grand for it even if just for a parts car.

35

It's a nice car, but like almost all 70s and early 80s, it's a gas hog. If you are going to replace the engine, you can put in a F.I. crate motor and get really decent mileage. Messing with the stock setup, you are doomed.