Engine swap

Asked by Mar 08, 2017 at 08:47 PM about the 1972 Chevrolet Impala

So I am getting ready to swap out my 350 small
block out for a 454 big block. The engine is turnkey
rdy and the only thing that I will need to buy is some
more headers. Will I need to change the motor
mounts or anything else before I drop the engine
under the hood??

Yes you'll need new motor mounts, you'll also need bigger brakes, suspension, radiator, and if tranny length changes new (or cut) driveshaft. Factory mounts may not work if you have an aftermarket oil pan, clearance with steering arm is really tight.

So I should change out the brakes and radiator first? As far as the suspension do I just need bigger springs, or bigger suspension as a whole?

First I would join a dedicated Impala forum, members there will have made the exact swap you are proposing and will steer you to the right aftermarket parts. You are likely looking at big block springs, bigger brakes/rotors at least in front, big block radiator, and transmission. Your stock driveshaft length will likely not fit so you'll either have to find a new one or get the exist. one cut and balanced. Depending on how much power you make and what you want to do with it, you may want to change gear ratios in the differential. On the plus side you can keep your stock engine cradle. I did a swap sbc to bbc swap in a 68 Impala but that was back in the 80's, I just don't remember what all I did. I did another small block to big block swap in a 70 Dodge Coronet, that was a huge hassle as everything had to go, including sub member. I also cut the exist driveshaft to fit, and had it balanced, but never again, it was never right, if at all possible get a factory stock replacement or go to a racing shop for cutting one, 90% of shops out there don't have the facility to balance one.

KenF thank u so much for your informative input! Everything was greatly noted and when I'm finished with the install, I will comeback to this post and let you know how everything turned out!

Nice car what u goin to do with 350 engine

Might keep it in case I want to sell the car because it only has 57k miles on it and it the original