what size bolt is on the tensioner. I need to put a new belt on, and need to loosen it up. How can I get this serpentine on!!?

Asked by Jan 13, 2007 at 02:24 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corsica

16,585

Hello, Here is some great informatoin on doing repairs to your 1988 Corsica: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=RG001&UserAction=processModel&Parameters=016 Best of luck! CarGrrl

You should be able to fit a large adjustable wrench or plug a ratchet on to the end of the tensioner. There is no loosening involved, just push down on it to allow room for the belt to fit over it. The tensioner is spring loaded. After you get the belt fitted on all the pulleys properly slowly and carefully let the tensioner go back in place. Thats all there is to it.

20

3/16 breaker bar will fit into hole on side of tensioner arm but there are cheap bars available and will be easier to fit in since the clearance can be tight between wheel well and tensioner arm.