What would cause the engine to die while driving my car?

Asked by Jun 28, 2010 at 09:56 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have an 89 Chev Cav Z24. I have had issues with it starting and dying out when I back up. The other day, I was driving down a main road at 40mph when all power went out and the car died right there. I was able to get it off the road, but could only get it to crank over. It would not start. Battery is fine and so is the alternator. What could cause it to die while cruising down the road?

FYI, a mechanic has it now and is trying to tell me I have an ignition switch problem. While that may be the case, it doesn't seem like it should have any bearing on my car dying while in the middle of cruising down the road @ 40mph. Any thoughts?

could be a the fuel pump is going out? or needs a new fuel filter? just some things i think it would be. dont really think it would be the ignition cuz if it was the car wouldnt turn over at all

it very well could be the ignition switch yes even though the car was going if it goes out it views it as if you turned the key to the off position Jeff is right in the fact that i would also check your fuel filter and pump check filter first a clogged filter will keep it from starting and dying like that. If filter does not work check the pump next (start small work your way up) also make sure you are getting a good spark a way to test this is to remove a spark plug from engine block and put the plug in the boot of your plug wires have another person try and turn over the car while touching the end of the plug to a ground source. if you get a spark more then likely your electrical is fine. Hope this helps.