on an 87 cavalier power steering fluid real dirty and steering has a tendency to not work wil fushing and changing fluid solve the problem

Asked by Apr 04, 2012 at 02:13 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier

105

Not likely. You will have to replace the power steering rack and pinion assembly then remove the fluid and relace with new.

65

I would certainly change the power steering fluid first before I replaced the rack and pinion system. The R&P system would cost you somewhere between $500. and $1,000. A couple of bottles of p/s fluid will be about $10. If that doesn't cure the problem, then you can start spending the heavy bucks. One should NEVER have dirty fluid in the power steering system.

Best Answer
105

It may be cheaper, but you will find that you will have to do it all anyway. I do it right the first time, myself.