how do you connect a remote battery kill switch on a 1986 cavalier 2.8

Asked by Oct 18, 2012 at 05:02 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier

I am trying to hook up a remote battery kill switch on my 1986 cavalier rs convertible, but all it does is prevent the car from starting, Engine turns over  and all the lights are on, i have one side of the switch, connected to the power cable at the starter and the other side of the switch hooked to the positive of battery----i need it to cut the juice from the battery (kill the battery) turn key and nuthing that's what i need it to do--- can anyone guide me

I need help installing a push button for my 2002 Chevy cavalier. When I turn my key on everything works, but when I try to turn it over nothing happens, so as an alternative because I replaced the battery and the starter a friend of mine ran a wire from my starter to my red battery terminal, every time I start my car I have to pop my hood and touch the end of that wire that he hooked to my starter to my red battery terminal and it turns over just fine, runs fine. I need help. Its a big inconvenience and no one else seems to know what to tell me.

the reason i want to add a battery kill switch is, something is killing my battery if i leave it hooked up for 3 or more days , i have taken the car to two shops and no one can find what is killing the battery, i had two other so called mechanics tell me it was the altenator, i have had the altenator replaced twice and the battery still dies after 3 or more days,

32,345

With everything shut off including the key and no interior lights or under hood lights on, unhook the battery and hook up an inline ammeter and let the vehicle sit for about a half hour. After sitting check the meter for the current, should be around 80 milliamps or.08 amps. If the draw is significantly higher then start pulling fuses until it gets a significant drop. Once you have found the fuse then you can plug it back in and start tracing the components it powers and unplug then one at a time until you find the accessory that is draining the battery. If you don't want to do that then just get a quick disconnect fir the battery and unplug it and plug it back in every day. How old is your battery?