I have a 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic 305 v8. Put a new ignition switch in and also a new battery. My car still won't start, the gen, oil and temp lights are all on. The car turns over but wont crank.

10

Asked by Sep 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM about the 1977 Chevrolet Caprice

Im a car noob I know nothing about them.
But, I thought it was the battery but it's not
that. It could be the starter, it could be my
carbonater however that is spelled. Please
Help!!!!

70,165

First thing to do is check the basic,s are you getting spark at plug?Are you getting fuel?

10

Where is the spark plug?

70,165

Follow the plug wire,s down to motor,it is hooked to them,but sound,s like you may need to find some one familuar with mechanic,s to help you .

16,575

If the motor turns over, the starter is doing it's job. It is not the starter. A car needs fuel, air, and spark at the spark plugs to run. Take one of these away and it will not run. After cranking the motor and it will not start, do you smell gasoline coming from the engine area? If so, the carburetor is supplying gas to the intake manifold which allows the gas to enter the cylinders. Have someone check for spark at the plugs, and if there is none, work backwards starting with the distributor.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

I got Spark Plugs so im going to put them on and see if that was the problem. I have to find a way to get them rusty spark plugs out

16,575

There is something you can put on old rusty nuts and bolts to loosen the rust. Be careful in removing the plugs. Use a plug socket to reach the plugs. Make sure the socket wrench and socket are squarely on the plug before attempting to loosen them. You may have to use a short extension to reach the plugs. Make sure the gaps to the plugs are correct. If you are not too adapt at this, a quick suggestion is to remove only one wire at a time and replace it when the new plug is in place. You also can put on tape at the wires and number the plug wires. Have the gap in the plugs set correctly also. Make sure your getting spark to the plugs.

10

Does anyone know of the firing order and have the diagram for the 1977 Chevy Caprice Classic V8 305 engine cause I have the wires mixed and my timing may be off

16,575

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 # 1 on the distributor is facing the rear of the engine from the fan, is on your right hand side near the facing front of the engine. If it was a clock, it would be the small hand on 5. The distributor rotor rotates clockwise. So i you find # 1, use something that will mark it, like a dab of white out or paint. In the six o:clock position, will be # 8, followed by 4,3,6,5,7,2 The far back of the distributor will have 6 on the far left side, then 5 on the right side. You onlyu have four on each side, so it is not like a complete clock. Actually it it were a clock, 6 and 12 would be blank. Hope this helps. Now looking at the engine from the fan to the windshield, the bank on the right is cylinder 1,3,5,7. The bank on the left looking toward the rear of the engine is 2,4,6,8. I hope this helps. Once you find # 1 Mark it somehow and go from there. Most wires are bent to fit the correct plugs, so that may assist in the correct routing. Draw a diagram and keep it handy to refer to. Don't feel bad, everyone needs it once in a while.

10

This is what I came up with.

16,575

If you can, take the distributor out, mark the position of the rotor so you can drop it back in in the same position and have the distributor tested.