Car runs fine after reving it up. 1967 chevy caprice

Asked by Jul 30, 2014 at 05:43 PM about the 1967 Chevrolet Caprice

I have a 1967 Chevrolet Caprice and when I start my car I usually have to pump it to get it starter, after I get it started and I take off, the car seems to spit through the carburetor. I will put it in neutral or park and press the gas really slow until I can put it to the floor and I can hear the secondary open up. After that it seems to accelerate just fine. But when I kill it I have to do it all over again. How can I get it fixed to where it runs and accelerates fine when I first start it up?

80

try checking timeing if timeing is good you need to tune it up plug wire distributer cap rotor button several thangs can cause this typ of problem need more in fo

1,100

its not unusual to pump the gas 3 or 4 times and one of those to the floor to set the choke. then if the choke is set right the car should run smooth. looking in the air cleaner the top of the carburetor should close tite when you step the gas pedal to the floor(ENGINE COLD) then when it starts the "choke pull-off" will open the choke a little to give the engine some air. back then people were used to letting the car warn up for a few minutes