How

10

Asked by Sep 02, 2012 at 03:20 PM about the 1966 Chevrolet Caprice

I need to fix my back window where it rusted. I have taken out the window which is in good shape but it appears I need to build it up to fix it. Any suggestions? I am 16 so I am not an expert and need pretty detailed descriptions if you don't mind. The rest of the car just has small surface rust spots but this is pretty bad.

78,175

Congratulations on a GREAT car!! GM products from this era are known for rust in the rear window area. I'd suggest contacting faxon auto literature & get a body manual. The have a website & offer re-prints of these manuals at a reasonable cost. Since these were pretty popular cars I'm sure patch panels, either good used or new reproduction are available. Try doing a google search for "66 Caprice body parts" or "66 caprice patch panels". Good luck with your project!! HTH. -Jim

a job like that should be done by a professional . I don't know of any company that sells a replacement for that metal . most shops make them as needed from sheet metal. the rust has to be cut out and new metal welded in. if you have a welder you can go to any body shop and ask them for a few pieces of metal i'm sure they'll give it to you. a sheet metal brake would be useful for bends and a shrinker / stretcher tool for curves.

2,415

the cheats way is to get some wire mesh and fiber glass the area,and build it up gradually till you have the apropriate shape and lip for the window seal to sit in it is a laborous task which will take time but if done right and the rust taken out and genolited will last several years