Spark Advance

95

Asked by Jul 02, 2008 at 12:45 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Blazer

Okay, so I recently rebuilt the 350 in my Blazer, and the sucker will NOT start now.  I have been going through things one by one, and the only thing I cannot figure out is what the spec is for timing advance.  Google has not been helpful, nor has the Haynes manual I have for the truck.  Does anyone know the how far on the harmonic balancer the spark is supposed to be set?  

Aside from spark advance, we are having trouble with valve lash, weak spark, and weak injectors (it has a TBI setup).  It backfires up through the intake as soon as I open the butterfly upon any attempt to start it.  It's not too bad, but it gets worse the more open the TB is (obviously).  Anyone with any helpful tips would be much appreciated.

sounds like you are 180 degres off on timing.pull # 1 plug get piston up on compression stroke,pull off dist.cap see if rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug,if not raise dist,turn rotor clockwise to #1 plug put back in.use timing light and set at 5 degrese B T D C.should start.PS when putting dist back in if you hit a gear that turns the rotor past #1 plug raise and turn BACK to next gear should fall in place.

25

Yes, make sure your ignition wires are in the right order and your spark plugs are gapped right.

did you figure out your problem.

95

hey thanks guys... i did figure it out. Im pretty sure that the valve lash is the biggest issue... the valves sound too tight... so i need to pop the valve covers off and fix that. I am doing this tomorrow, and ill post the result :)