1980 Toyota Tercel Sudden Drop in Power??

Asked by Jun 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM about the 1980 Toyota Tercel

Hello, My name is Matt, I have a 1980 Tercel 2 Dr Sedan w/ 4 Speed Manual Transmission. Lately I have been having this issue:  The car will suddenly lose power, like go from 60 to 30 in seconds.  Even when I push on the accelerator the car does not go any faster.  After about 2 mins. everything is back to normal.  Even trying to go to 2nd or 1st gear does not help.  When I take it to the mechanic, it does not do it at all when he drives it.  Any hints?  Thanks.

I experience the same problem with my 1987 Toyota Tercel 5-dr (hatchback) EX. Mechanics have been unable to diagnose the problem. I notice that it occurs more frequently upon initially filling the tank with gas. Could filling up wash off rust from inside the tank that's then getting into the fuel line and causing the loss of power followed by a "jerky" return to normal?