toyota tercel 4wd woes

Asked by Aug 13, 2007 at 12:46 PM about the 1985 Toyota Tercel

well car does not move unless its in 4wd its an automatic I looked for the switch for 4 wd located and removed unplugged ..initially I thought it was stuck in 4wd but upon further invest I found it was wired on electrically ...I unhooked ....now no move ..wire it up and 4wd light comes on and drives fine.does not make a lot of sense to me as its an automatic ...either there is hyd pressure or not??shouldnt it work in fwd as well?

44,575

Sounds like there may be a problem in the rear axle, or with one of the solenoids in the electronically-controlled transmission. For example, most vehicles that are 4WD are rear-wheel drive in normal situations, then front-wheel drive is added in to make the 4WD. If you have a rear axle problem you would not have those wheels in a non-4WD application. You may also have an internal problem with one of the trans solenoids that is locking or unlocking the 4WD.