86 tercel smooth acceleration jerky coasting

10

Asked by Oct 09, 2015 at 09:22 PM about the 1986 Toyota Tercel

My tercel runs smooth when giving it gas...if i am cruising at slow speed low rpm it feels like the front end, right side is going to fall off. low speed high rpm smooth as silk. Highway speeds smooth if constantly giving it gas. Let off the gas its not happy. Any ideas?

10

Stick shift, if that info is needed. Thanks

148,595

In 1986 the Tercel was available in four wheel drive or front wheel drive. Have a close look at your CV joints in front and if it is 4WD do same to driveshaft to rear. The 'boot' around the CV joint in front should not be open and exposing any parts. Or with car not running grab the axle and try to turn/wiggle it. If it moves at all that might be the problem. Driving on the highway it is under constant torque, so won't 'jerk' but at low speed stop-and-go will do so. You mention right front so start there

10

2 wheel drive, boots look good, replaced the axles on both sides about 3 yrs ago, also the tie rod ends at the same time.