i have a 85 surpa with a problem

Asked by May 09, 2013 at 08:56 PM about the 1985 Toyota Supra

car starts runs good but soon as you touch gas pedal it bogs down an cuts off been to two shops no one seems to know does anyone out there know the problem.

109,425

Exhaust system plugged? TPS malfunction, Toyotas of the generation can be a real problem getting the computer codes, you need to invest in a GOOD shop manual and read up on the diagnostic procedures of the model. Good Luck.

1,335

Mass airflow sensor, oxygen sensor, EGR stuck open, clogged catalytic converter, rock hit part of the exhaust and pinched it closed. Check engine light? get codes. Those are my closest guesses without looking at it. Get a Haynes or a Chilton, everyone should own one for a car that isn't in warranty.

mine was doing that .. I put real gas in it and that fixed the problem .. They do not like ethanol gas.. if its getting the gas then I would start there .. I put new fuel pump, fuel filter and had the fuel system cleaned be4 I put real gas in it ..

109,425

Getting real gas can be a bit of a problem unless you are in an area where there is a lot of farming, fishing or timber, older equipment doesn't like ethanol fuel. I've had a lot of success with StaBil Marine fuel additive for my older 4 and 2 stroke engines especially my old MTD lawn tractor it just would run good on pump gas until I added that stuff now it runs just fine.

10

do you still have the 85 supra?